Photo by Noel Barnhurst
Rice and Fruit Stuffing Recipe
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 1 large onions chopped
- ½ bunch of organic celery chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups wild rice or rice bread cubes (about one 8-ounce package)
- 1 cup apple (Stayman or Wine Sap are best) coarsely chopped.
- 1 cup organic red or purple grapes
- 1/2 cup each organic dried apricots
- 2 cups walnuts chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt and 1 tsp pepper
Melt 8 tablespoons butter in heavy large pot over low heat and stir in onions and celery for until coated, 60 seconds and remove. Transfer to a large bowl and add in 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
Bring water to a simmer and add wild rice to 120 degrees (just below a simmer) and lower to the lowest setting. Cover for 30 minutes. Rice will complete cooking in the bird. Mix and stir in celery and onions, nuts and fruits. Salt and pepper to taste.
Bake Stuffing in Turkey or Roast
Loosely fill neck and main cavities of turkey with stuffing. Spoon remaining stuffing into a prepared dish. Bake stuffing in dish alongside turkey until heated, about 25 minutes. Uncover stuffing and bake until top of stuffing is slightly crisp and golden, about 10 minutes longer.